Sunday, January 8, 2012

Where have the "Oh Shit!!!" moments gone? Memorable Scenes in Horror

As I sat here staring at this blank screen, trying to write a review for a movie I had just watched, I was suddenly struck typographically mute. I had just sat through a movie and even taken some notes as to the focus points I was leaning towards. The problem was that there was no one moment that lept out at me, no classic scene. The movie was ok... actually I believe I may have enjoyed it, but there was just no lasting memory of any one part it. The moments of so many other classics drifted through my mute brain, and it hit me.... where was the classic OH SHIT!!! moment.... where was that scene that made me sit up and maybe even look over my shoulder? I then thought, "now is the time to do this, while this is fresh in my thoughts.... write them down, those classic scenes, those oh shit moments of a lifetime of great horror movies (and some not so great) that are being debated, quoted and relived at diners at 2am all across the country".

The quotes from these scenes, and from more than just the horror genre, are just as much a part of the American lexicon of cultural speech as the word "ain't". If you don't believe me just call any friend and utter the phrase "I want the truth" and you're almost guaranteed to get "you can't handle the truth" in response.

So, in no particular order, I present to you the flashes that came to me within 60 seconds of sitting down to write this review...


The Shining ....

The dead woman v Jack makeout scene, who can forget that point in the film when the beautiful blonde gets out of the tub and turns into zombie hag!

Scatman catching the axe with his chest when he comes to the rescue: In my humble opinion the best axe related murder scene in any movie.

Who can forget Wendy backing up the stairs wildly swinging the bat, and Jack's response... "Wendy darling, light of my life....I'm not gonna hurt you, I'm just gonna bash your brains in"..

The party in the ballroom, " hair of the dog that bit me Lloyd"....

The shining is almost a 3 hour long moment that you can't quite forget once you've seen it. This little partial list is just the first few that lept to mind and as I was typing this ten more muscled in.... Tony is the little boy that lives in my mouth.....


An American Werewolf in London

During David's dream that he is back in America with his family the Nazi zombies busting in during The Muppet Show, the the Nazi zombie stab scene at the hospital.

It was in the same part of the film just after that jack appears to David for the first time and the announcement from Jack that it was a werewolf that attacked them.

The entirety of the time spent in the Slaughtered Ram pub.

When CCR's Bad Moon Rising ushers in the transformation scene, which for 1981 was amazing....




Pet Semetery....

Whilst not a classically favored horror film it holds a few of the best and or worst scenes. The picnic out in the field and Gage watching the kite string blow into the road while the Ramones were blasting and then the littlekids bloody rolling shoe.

Then there is possibly the creepiest kid played part in any horror film after Gage comes back, the cute little velvet suit and the scalpel ultimately culminating with..."no fair daddy no fair".

And who could forget Fred Gwynne delivering the great "Sometimes dead is better" line....




A Nightmare on Elm Street....

The little girl skipping rope in front of house singing the one, two song(your probably singing it to yourself right now).

Tina in the alley running and she proclaims "Dear God" and the instant when the glove comes out "This is God".

Johnny Depp being sprayed allover the ceiling and walls.

The great janitor sequence..." No running in the hallway".






The Omen...

When the archeologist kneels down followed by the plate glass decapitation.

Even though you knew it was coming, seeing that 666 on the scalp....











Aliens....

After the transport has crashed and Bill Paxton politley proclaims "Game over, Game over Now what the fuck are we supposed to do!"












These were just the ones that lept to mind immediately, if I were to put some thought into it the list could and would be pages upon pages long, but, see, thats where you, the reader, come in.... where is your list? what makes your cut?

Posted from Guest Contributor xxlmedium

No comments:

Post a Comment